Sunday, July 13, 2008

nostalgia

one evening last week i spent some time at borders bookstore while my husband worked late. i've had my eye on steve martin's memoir born standing up for some time now. so i bought it, started reading it that night, was delighted by so many parts of it and finished it late (late!!) friday night. it transported me back to so many wonderful memories of the late 60's and 70's. it made me laugh and gave me such a nostalgic, bittersweet feeling of lost youth and a renewed appreciation for the creative, groundbreaking era. i can completely recall the first time i ever saw steve on tv (the tonight show) with his arrow thru the head, his banjo and his silly, feel-good, off-the-wall comedy act. of course, as with most things in this stage of my life, it got me thinking about the phases of my life and the times -- good and bad -- that i've had. it is so nice to be able to read about the 60's and 70's and compare what history says with my reflections and memories of the times. today i handed the book off to my dad who will most likely finish it before retiring tonight. i can't wait to see what he thinks of it.

on a whim i bought john fogarty's the long road home cd while at borders as well. it was $9.95 and i figured what the heck i know a few of these tunes and it could be fun! whoa! a few tunes? it was amazing to me as i listened to the cd for the first time in my art room bright and early saturday morning how many of the songs i knew and how many wonderful memories flooded over me as i listened. i was transported back to dancing with a high school crush by who'll stop the rain. and, wasn't it just yesterday that my brother rodger and i sang out loud and strong with the radio version of lookin' out my back door? it was summer and we were cruising in the family 1964 impala with all the windows down and driving way too fast! we joked about taking our act on the road. we both loved to sing and had a wonderful harmony thing going to almost every song on the radio. then there was the memory of singing lookin out my back door on the bus on my senior class trip to washington dc. there were 32 of us seniors on the trip and we really belted out some of the popular tunes of the day all the way from indiana to dc and back again. i know we must have sung ccr's jeremiah was a bullfrog at least 50 times on that trip!!

so, i am very grateful for a random trip to borders which turned into a magical time machine, transporting me back to the carefree days of my youth!! i shared the cd with my son matt today. he is usually the one turning me onto his fave music. it was my turn to return the favor today! can't wait to see what he has to say, too!

8 comments:

Auburn Kat said...

Oh to be young again!!! BTW, did you get the check in the mail?

Tess Kincaid said...

Don't you love it when you rediscover an album or book like this and it inspires and comforts? I know exactly what you mean.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Fun memories! And John Fogarty seems not to have aged one bit!

Strider said...

There is nothing better that "traveling back in time" for a visit! We recently got sattelite TV at the house. They cary XM radio. I imediately tuned to the 70's station (with surround sound) and was once again transported to high school and college. I can remember what I was doing the first time I heard a particular song. Very neat trip in the mind. Good post Julie. Thanks

Mmm said...

Ahh, don't you love times like that? Thaks for sharing the happy, nostaligic memories. I can hear the songs right now.

Rosies said...

Julie my aunt Bobi featured you on her blog for artist of the week and I can't tell you how much I enjoy your art work. It's amazing! I love it. I kind have always wanted to be an artist and I have painted and painted over again but after seeing your work I have tried a couple of collaging pieces and I am having so much fun with it. I have never taken any classes or anything this is somewhat of a new interest and hobby for me over the past couple of years, but any advice on supplies or tools that you use? What kind of adhesive do you use, and do you seal yours at the end? Well thank you for the inspiration I love your work!!

AlasMyDear said...

oh wow! isn't it lovely when small random things like a song or book triggers memory joyrides like that :)

it brings the book/song that much closer to you, doesn't it? so much more fun that way!

julie king said...

auburn kat, i hope to make it to the post office in the next day or two. this week has been busy!

the hess fam -- i sent you a very long e-mail this morning around 4:15 when i couldn't sleep. it gave you lots of insight into how i make my collages. please don't hesitate to ask me more. i'm willing to share my madness, er, i mean methods!