Sunday, December 28, 2008

self-portrait


i've been wanting to do a self-portrait for some time. what better way to spend boxing day than home in my art room (and my pajamas!) doing what i love?


the caricature of me depicts my younger, funkier side but i feel even at 56 that i still have a good deal of spunk!! the camera is my dream camera, a nikon d-60. if i visualize it, it will come true. i covered the background of the canvas with torn pieces of my favorite sheet music -- the beatles, james tayor, paul simon and carole king. i'm wearing jeans, of course and a long boho scarf, my favorite look. all the garments, my hair, the camera, etc. are cut from scrapbook paper.


my dear, sweet presley is done in shiva paint sticks on a heavy blue patterned scrapbook paper. he's right by my side, as always!


the little brown cart holds some of my favorite mixed media torn paper collages, all ready to travel off to an art fair or gallery. they're for sale, of course!


my blue bike is loaded down with a collection of books by my favorite authors, all ready for a trip to the library. the bike was a bit challenging but i was quite pleased with how it turned out. this is still a work-in-progress and i'm sure it will be tweaked a bit over the next week or so. i'm not crazy about the green library or bust banner and want to do some more work on the books to get them to be a bit more realistic. collaging is so forgiving and can be fixed quite easily.


i added a bunch of colorful balloons so i could depict my little mantra hope, peace, love, joy. hope this beautiful sunday morning finds you happy, healthy and creatively inspired. if not, treat yourself to a long nap!

23 comments:

Jackie said...

Thats a wonderful self portrait. I was just wondering how difficult the bike was and you said it was!
We are almost the same age and your music is my music. I loved James Taylor and found out a couple of moths ago, that when I wnet to college in 1969-72 he was or had been living in the same area as the college.

NANCY LEFKO said...

this is fabulous....what a great treat to give yourself !!!

Terri Stegmiller said...

I LOVE THIS!!!!! What a fun piece this is and it looks absolutely fabulous up at the top of your blog.

lori vliegen said...

thanks so much for sharing your creative process with us! you have such a wonderful, fresh style...and i love that "spunky and funky" that you put in this piece! :)

Brenda Heisler said...

It just couldn't be more perfect. I love it! So creative and with all the elements that give us a glimpse into your life. The music is from my time too. How fun!

steviewren said...

What a perfect way to make a self portrait! You've included so much information about yourself. I noticed that you are barefoot too. I would have to draw myself the same way.

Martha Lever said...

Love this self portrait, Julie, and I love little Presley, the sidekick studio dog. i have one of those too---Bucky.
We are exactly the same age and I love all this music--I am with ya, girl!!!

Tess Kincaid said...

This is one of your best pieces, Julie! I love it.

WW said...

What a delightful project.
You must have had so much fun making this one.
I too am of the age to relate quite well to your choice in music! :)

Auburn Kat said...

I love those!!!

Unknown said...

Absolutely AMAZING, Julie! Really wonderful - and really inspiring.

Betsy Brock said...

I love it...why, I recognzed you and Presley right from my sidebar! :)

Regi S. said...

Wonderful :) The Nikon D90 has ousted the Nikon D300 out of my dreams. At least I got to hug one at Circuit City !

Cindy said...

your self-portrait is absolutely fantastic! i love all of the details. i hope you get the camera you'd like. you deserve it!

Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson said...

Julie, your self portrait is wonderful! I love it. All the details are so personal and specific. I think it's great and the sheet music makes a perfect neutral background. Thanks for the close-up sections too, something I have learned are really essential to sharing the details.

Regi S. said...

You'll do fine in a bad economy ! Did you read this post? Still can't believe I bought a sixteen dollar chicken.

http://regisroost.blogspot.com/2008/07/ominvores-wallet.html

jennalee said...

amazing. I love all the little details, especially the cart full of mixed media collage stuff. my favorite too.

Mmm said...

So thoughtful. Love the Beatles songs too. Why do you have so many of them and only them in your art here?

BEN AND JACI said...

You are beautiful! I love your art Julie! Have lots of fun tomorrow creating more masterpieces!

noodle and lou said...

Julie, it is just beyond fabulous!!
I absolutely love it. Every detail is so lovely. Especially your art peeking out of the cart! So special!!

Wishing you a bright and happy new year...filled with peace, love and joy of course:):) xoxo...jenn

Strider said...

Great self portrait!~ Have a great New Year my friend. Strider

Kerri Jean said...

What a fabulous self portrait. I love all of the ways you captured your passions for art and books and music and torn paper collage - and presley - I could look at the details in this piece all day.

Shana said...

Amazing self portrait - very fun!

I'd also love the camera. Maybe one day we'll both get the cameras of our dreams. (Although I keep tellling myself that I'll have to make an awful lot of pinwheels to afford it!)

Happy 2009! By the way, you've inspired me to create my own business facebook page. My goal is to create my own in the next day or so - now if only I could get out of my lazy vacation state. :)