Wednesday, August 19, 2009

fly free, sing


sometimes i like to look back at collages i did over 2 years ago when i first stumbled onto mixed media creation. this one, titled "fly free, sing" is one of my all-time favorites. i love the random, chaotic background layers and then the stronger bold elements in the front. back then, every project was an exploration of self-discovery. there were no classes, no rules, no teachers. mostly there was just a longing to get all this pent-up creativity out. now that i think about it, i guess things haven't really changed that much. i still approach my mixed media art with a carefree experimentation approach. some things work, others don't. either way, i enjoy the process. and it's very freeing when i can look at a piece and be comfortable with it, content that it is pleasing to my eye. if someone else likes it, then it's icing on the cake.

thanks for all your support in adding wonderfully sweet layers of icing to my cake. my cup runneth over with the joy that you all bring!

15 comments:

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

What a very sweet piece!!

Jennifer DeDonato said...

very lovely...your work makes me happy

Mary said...

add some more sweet creamy, yummy icing cause I love it!!!

jasmine said...

this is really pretty! :)

Joanna said...

That is a lovely piece of art. I'm not surprised you still love it after two years.

Michelle Eaton said...

This piece is beautiful! Such a lovely warm feeling.

Manon said...

Hi Julie,
I also love this one! The colors and composition are terrific.
I so adore mixed media. The idea of no rules is so appealing to me.

Mary said...

Good morning Julie, love the name Julie!! :)

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a note. My sister lost her daughter in January. She took her own life. It is the hardest thing she has ever had to endure. Loosing Dawn will never be a good thing!! She has as others have I am sure, railed at God wondering why He allowed it. God allows free will, and we live in a fallen world. I do not believe God choose for Dawn to take her life. And God does not make her death a good thing, but in her death God has drawn my sister closer to him - she feels his presence and comfort more keenly, and with that comfort can comfort others who walk through what she has walked through. That is something good - but would my sister rather have her daughter - of course! This is such a hard thing to get our hands around.

Blessings!

Cindy said...

it's a wonderful, cozy piece. your work is definitely unique and identifiable as you in the best sense. enjoy your weekend!

Melinda said...

I love it too...the colors are so beautiful and warm!

MLBetterly said...

I think this is one of my favorites too! I love the warmth and whimsy of it! It's fabulous!

Katiejane said...

Here's some more icing, because I love this. Love the colors you used, and the composition is great. Very pretty.

Martha Lever said...

Yes, this one is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Your art is very special indeed, so pleased you do create these beautiful creations. They bring me so much pleasure looking at them.

Wedding-Calligrapher said...

I love this too. I'd be so proud if I could create something as warm and exciting as this piece.