Sunday, June 29, 2008

square fish bowl in a round, round world


square fish bowl
8" x 8" canvas board
mixed media collage
copyright 2008 julie king


looking thru the glass
at life beyond my reach
longing for adventure
a creative life i seek

what if my square fish bowl
is all there really is
what if all the roundness
is someone else's bliss

life is oh so simple
when you live inside a square
no risk, no expectations
there is such comfort there

but squareness is a trap
that doesn't let us grow
or let us spread our wings
or let us truly know

the heights that we can fly to
out in the world so round
the goals that we can make
to soar by leaps and bounds

so let me step outside
my fish bowl oh so square
get outside the comfort
be artfully aware



8 comments:

Cindy said...

i really love everything about his post! the art is wonderful and the message so true. there's something about your rhyme that makes it seem possible.

Terri Stegmiller said...

At first glance, I didn't think this was your work, it doesn't have all the collaged background papers. The colors are great in this and the piece puts a smile on my face.

Mmm said...

I love the fish. Wonderful.

BTW, just added you to my blogroll to keep up to date with your postings.

Tess Kincaid said...

Nice poem and nice art, as always, Julie! :)

Lavinia said...

This little poem carries an important message. And the artwork, is beautifully impressionistic. The two go very well together. Glad I stopped by today!

Unknown said...

love the pairing of this image with your words -- lovely combo!

Sew Bettie said...

So clever!

painted fish studio said...

yay, fish!