Sunday, December 27, 2009

just an old softie



 

 


 

 

 

 

 


if you were a mouse in our house you'd figure out quite quickly that when it comes to puppies, my hubbie is just an old softie. it looks like i'm definitely going to have to be the disciplinarian. of course, i'm the only one who read cesar milan's book on how to raise a well-balanced, submissive dog. we'll just blame it on that. here are a few conversations to prove my point.

old softie hubbie: let's just leave their food down all the time and let them eat whenever they want.
mean old mama: no. they need a schedule and a routine.

old softie hubbie (at 3:00 am): now that they've gone potty just put them in bed with us for the rest of the night.
mean old mama: no. they need to sleep in their crate. once they sleep with us, they'll whine to sleep with us every night.

old softie hubby: i'm just walking her around in my arms so she'll go to sleep before i put her in her crate.
mean old mama: you're spoling her and treating her like a baby. she's a dog and we need to treat her like a dog. otherwise, she'll have an identity crisis.

old softie hubby: look how they're crawling all over me and biting my hair and ears.
mean old mama: you're letting them be dominant over you which is getting things off to a bad start.

old softie hubbie: let's just let them play for awhile before we take them out
mean old mama: they'll have an accident.

old softie hubby: you were right. they both just pooped on the carpet.
mean old mama (said with big sigh): read the book, please, read the book.

seriously, things are going wonderfully. they want to please, are very quick to learn, and are already begging at the door to go out. they go into their crate on their own when they want to nap and love our big back yard where they can run and leap, tumble and play. zoe is the lover, wanting to cuddle more than bella although bella is coming along. zoe is also the adventurer and the first to do just about everything. bella seems to be more of an observer and follower.

we couldn't be happier and are loving every minute of this experience.



22 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

They are enough to turn us all into softies just seeing these photos. What darling balls of fluff. Great photos of them romping in the garden. Don't forget that daily walk. The best thing for them I say and of course so does Cesar.

RNSANE said...

They are doubly cute! You just need to get hubbie trained, Julie!

Martha Lever said...

AWWW...they are just so cute I can't stand it. Keep us informed and let us know if he reads the book!! Isn't Cesar incredible? If you follow that book you are going to have two great dogs and it looks like they are on their way!!!

Lyn said...

They are so so cute!
Happy times.
love
Lyn
xxx

Mary said...

They are so adorable!!!
They make me almost want a puppy!
Almost. I love the idea of a puppy, but I think I am over having to take care of them.

We have a big golden retriever that sheds so much I have to vacuum the house at least every other day. That is taking the fun out of having a dog somewhat for me at this point!!

A friend told me if I had a little dog I would love it!!! For some reason, we have always had big dogs!!!!

T.Allen said...

They are way too cute for rational thought...I'm with hubbie on this one; mush. *swoon*

roz said...

They are SOOO cute. I so enjoy reading about them. Congratulations on your beautiful new babies.

Betsy Brock said...

Oh, this was so fun to read! Yes, you are the wise one! hee!

Almost Precious said...

They are truly precious and just like wee little babies they'll have you wrapped around their little finger...er paw...in no time if you don't set guidelines and boundaries. Yes it's hard to do when they look up at you with those big, sweet puppy eyes. LOL Good Luck !

Unknown said...

Oh, they are so sweet! I know what you mean with the softie/meanie thing....happens in our house with dog AND kids...

jgr said...

Awesome babies, yes they make 'softies' of us all. Thank you for your comment, I'll be back to see more of the cute ones.

ArtistUnplugged said...

Bella and Zoe are sooooo cute!!!! Funny.....keep up YOUR good work with them-the Cesar way! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

Staci Danford said...

These are the totally cutest little fellows I have ever seen... I just want to snuggle with them right now.. And I adore Puppy Breath so much..

Kelly Warren said...

oh my goodness, twin puppies! :-) they are so adorable julie. thanks for sharing more photos. i'm the softie in my house. thankfully isabelle is 65 pounds and crazy so she won't fit in our bed. otherwise i'd let her!

We Blog Artists said...

Oh my, they're gorgeous!
Have fun Julie...I'm sure they're keeping you busy.
Char

Tess Kincaid said...

Awwwwww!!! Thanks for the smiles.

lori vliegen said...

oh julie.....you put a whole new spin on "feel-good-blog"!!! i sit here and write this to you with a HUGE smile on my face, thanks to your wonderful way of writing (i just LOVE the conversations between you and your old softie hubbie!! makes me chuckle to no end!!) and the precious photos of your adorable new babies!!! oh.my.goodness!!!! isn't it wonderful to be a mom to sweet little puppies?!! enjoy the love, sweet friend, enjoy the love!!! hugs, :)))

Brandi said...

Oh my word! Those are the cutest little puppies. Ever. Those conversations sound much like the ones at our house, only it's me and my girls who are the softies.

Cindy said...

i've learned so much from this post! you have the yin & yang going on. happy new year you four!

karen said...

Bella and Zoe are so sweet. What a wonderful gift. Glad you got two of them. Dogs are always happier in pairs! So are people I guess... Your artwork is lovely. Thanks again for stopping by at Maggie's garden. I've had a fun time visiting your blogs.

Michael said...

Happy New YEar, Julie!!!

Kerri Jean said...

You are so right, of course, but I know how easy it is to want to love them beyond what is good for their puppy nature. Max definitely has identity "issues" because I made lots of mistakes, treating him too human. My family calls him my "special needs dog." And this is too true. Oh, well. I will do better the next time. He's still awesome.