Sunday, April 4, 2010

she loved books


"she loved books"
original mixed media collage
10 x 10 x 1.5 gallery-wrapped canvas
(c) 2010 julie king


she loved books, devouring them like decadent chocolate eclairs, each one more delicious than the previous. attracted to the aged, mellow colors of the frayed covers, she was soon intimately involved with the rich characters she found inside. these charismatic, often quirky soulmates were her nightly bedfellows and her traveling companions. even during her strolls in the park, she found her mind wandering to her current read, anticipating each delightful revelation and turn of phrase. the sweet scent of the old, dusty pages filled her head with aromatic visions of far-off places and oft-forgotten times. her fingers itched to caress each page as the story unfolded and wove its magical spell. her home was overflowing with stacks of much-loved, well-worn tomes, stepping stones to a life she could only hope to live one day. but for now, she was content to exist within the toothy vellum pages of the hardbound books she so loved.

this is the first in my "she" series of original collages based on my original stories about creative women with courage, heart and wings to fly!

it's available in my etsy shop. i'm also offering a custom version of this style "she" collage. i'd love to create one especially for your sister, mom, friend or daughter. just click the link for all the details.

12 comments:

RNSANE said...

Julie, this is absollutely wonderful. I know so many people I would love to give this to if my financial circumstances hadn't changed with that job loss! Beautiful.

Micki Wilde said...

She is wonderful, I love how you didn't do a face, very interesting indeed!!

Micki x

steviewren said...

Julie, great idea! I can't wait to see more in this series.

It looks like you've gotten your creative groove back! Hurray!

ArtistUnplugged said...

What a great collage and the words you have written are just wonderful. Love your previous posted flower photos and catching up on your random thoughts! Let's see the haircut!

Dawn said...

I love this !!! It is so wonderful. I love to read like that!

Renee Troy said...

What a wonderful piece of art!

lissa said...

lovely work and wonderful tale to go with it

Kelly Warren said...

love this julie! reminds me of me. :-) i have stacks of books all over my house.

Donna said...

I love it! I like the verse and the content of the piece. Very nice, Julie!

Juliette Crane said...

This piece is lovely and I just adore the story that goes along with it. So perfect. Your artwork is beautiful. Thank you for being such an inspiration!
best wishes,
juliette
juliettecrane.blogspot.com

rachel awes said...

i'm happy to find you & now a follower! i loooove this collage & can't wait to see the series that will come out of your heart & hand. x

Jennifer DeDonato said...

This is wonderful! I love the words!!