Tuesday, June 2, 2009

more

photo (c) 2009 julie king
during quiet moments of reflection photographing remains of this evening's rainfall, i thought "i want more . . . more time with family, more sunset glow on my face, more peaceful conversations with nature". i look back over my life and wonder how much precious time was wasted chasing material things that bring no lasting joy. did i work when i should have read to the kids? did i pause to listen to the loon's call, smell the rain, laugh with the wind? is my cup running over with vivid images of smiling children, foggy dawns, incandescent snow falls? was there more and i missed it?

a few years ago a friend signed me up for a free subscription to more magazine. i was humored by the multitude of full page ads for the latest anti-aging cream and intrigued by the fashion suggestions for the over-40 woman. but mostly each issue left me with a feeling that i was missing something important in my life. each page told the story of women who felt more fulfilled than at any other stage in their lives. they were finding themselves in new hobbies, exploring new paths and experiencing life to the fullest. for me, the void got wider and deeper with each issue.

and around that time, i discovered my passion for mixed media art. "aaaah," i said, "so this is what more feels like. i like it!" and so, i spend time every day soaking up the more of life . . . looking for the beauty in every little thing, taking happy photos, stringing words together to bare my soul. i'm living, breathing, teaching, experiencing the life of more.

how do you live the life of more? haven't found it yet? keep searching; no matter your age, your economic status or your station in life -- your more is out there just waiting for you. seek, grow, find, fly free, soar, my friends. fly free & soar!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this, julie.

Silke Powers said...

Julie, I am so glad you found my blog and led me back to yours. I love your art!! I feel the same way since discovering mixed media art a few months ago - my life feels deeper somehow. It was deep before and wonderful, but now it feels like I am finally listening to the creative voice within and expressing outwardly. An indescribable feeling...:) Silke

Once Upon A Blue Crow said...

Yes! Everyone should have something to do that they're absolutely passionate about, then you can't help seeing the beauty that surrounds us all :)

lori vliegen said...

i LOVE this, julie!! i really feel like it should be published....consider submitting it to a favorite magazine (maybe "more"?)! some days i feel like i've found more, and some days i feel like i'm still looking for it...so i'm going to continue to fly, soar and seek. one day when i least expect it, more will be there. :)

Val's Dragonfly Whimsy said...

I love your mixed media art - very lovely! Val

Tracy Nuskey Dodson said...

stopping to smell the roses...thanks Julie!

Manon said...

Your right Julie! I think we've all spent time chasing material things and as we get older we realize they're not important!
I read More also! I can relate. I have the same passion as you do! We may be soul sisters...... lol!

me said...

Julie, what a very moving (and challanging) post. Thank you for sharing with us today, another small glimpse of you and challanging each of us to look for the beauty in every single day, no matter what.

*hugs*

Kristy Worden said...

I've been looking for 'more' forever... can't seem to find it - so glad you did, your work inspires.
PS - good guess on the chihuahua dresses 10"..haha

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

Julie, a fabulous post. I don't understand all the expensive creams and plastic surgeries. I guess it's their business, but so far I have never seen someone that has had 'work' and you really couldn't tell how old they are. We can't redo everything that shows our age, i.e, hands,feet,many times the neck. I want to be content in all things. All of us will be old if we live long enough. You have not only great artistic skills, but also writing skills. I'm so happy we're friends.

Carol Sloan said...

love this! And I love that we can express ourselves through our art - our visual language.

PrairiePeasant said...

I still have to pause to remember to savour those everyday moments and not worry about completing projects, as fulfilling as they are. Thanks for sharing so beautifully.

m said...

An excellent post. More indeed. Love the pic too.

Cindy said...

very inspiring and positive story, julie. but, so what else is new ;)?

Anonymous said...

Have I told you how beautiful your shadow box is! Amazingly so! I love it totally. Thank you so much for all the ribbons and extra card. So special as my x-husband was having an operation to get rid of cancer pollops in his bowel(he is having is bowel removed) I was able to send him this card with your lovely ribbon around it. I drwan a little angel inside. Felt with your love in this card shown through all the little extra's also. Hope the card will make his day when he is well enough to enjoy it. So thankyou so very much!

Julie-ann:)

Almost Precious said...

Julie -
Recently I was presented with the Kreativ Blogger award and it requires that it be passed on to other creative bloggers and their blogs. I thought about all the wonderful photo shots you capture and your amazing mixed media art and knew I had to pass it on to you. Should you choose to accept this award just visit my blog to down load the award plaque and follow the list of simple requirements.

Kristy Worden said...

My new poem touches on this subject and sort of how the absence of 'more' is the problem... still, I keep looking!

The Itsy Bitsy Spill said...

Love what you written!! It's lovely and gets in right into my soul. This Morning at about 5:30am I get up. I hear the sound of rain pouring down and felt it wash away worries I have held on to for quite a while and I meditated as I do every day. And I find, that when I do I feel a whole different me coming together. I'm always trying to better myself not for anyone but for me. It makes me happy and feel my paintings come to life because I'm shedding. There are moments when I cry but it's a good thing for me. When I think about wanting a family of my own it brings a smile to my face but the fear comes in about possibility of not having children saddens me. I never had children. I would like one, a child I can read bed time stories, paint with, another human being to love, to take to school,. I can go on but I won't. I'm 37yrs. My significant other is very supportive. I can't complain about that, he's delightful. If for some reason I can't bare any children. I'm prepared to accept the things I cannot change, and that would be okay.

Magaly Ohika

Unknown said...

A wonderful post, Julie. I have enjoyed catching up with you!

Lavinia said...

Fly free and soar...a wonderful sentiment!

Julie you are on top of the world these days. I must say popping over here and reading about your soaring spirit these days has been inspirational! THANK YOU!