Friday, April 1, 2011

goat stampede







i got a little cabin feverish yesterday and grabbed my camera for a drive in the country. it was wonderful to ramble down some roads i've not been on in over 30 years. i experienced that "wow, it looks so much smaller than i remember" feeling a few times. and, i managed to get lost . . . but only temporarily. the highlight of the trip was stumbling upon this herd of goats. they were way across the field when i pulled up and got out of my car. the second i stepped toward the fence and said hi goats they stampeded toward me. my photos don't capture how quick and anxious they were to see me. most of the goats were content to stand back but a few couldn't get close enough. i must say i burbled over with laughter at their antics to get their heads stuck thru the fence holes.

as i was editing and naming the photos here at my mac, i couldn't help thinking that people are a lot like these goats. some have a zest for living and want to push ahead to experience every ounce of life full tilt. others are much more content to be take a second row seat, observing the livelier ones. in my life, i've been both kinds at one time or another. lately i've been more comfortable in the 2nd row but then i think not. after all, i was the one who stopped on a desolate road to befriend the goats. hee hee

6 comments:

elisa said...

Such sweet goats!
I totally agree with the comparison of goats and people... and yes, it looks like you are moving back into someone with a zest for living =)

RNSANE said...

I'm sitting here after midnight, catching up on blogs. I've been in Sacramento for a couple of days, visiting my son and his wife.

At any rate, your goats are hysterical and sure created some terrific pictures! Isn't it fun to wander highways and byways of the past?

Anonymous said...

With faces like that, well you have to stop. Great insight on life, we should all be out there like these goat more, living at a full gallop. xox Corrine

Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson said...

Dear Julie, I too have childhood memories of feeding farm animals at fences along the side of the road in New England. I'd absolutely LOVE to use these funny photos as reference for a collage series, would you be willing to share?

Bridget said...

Julie I just love your goats. They bring back memories of my childhood, we raised goats. I have some of the silliest stories about them. I also love your etsy shop wish I had the $$ to buy them. I did put them out there on a site called http://weheartit.com, sure hope this gets you attention and buyers too.

Bridget said...
This comment has been removed by the author.