Saturday, March 29, 2008

peaceful


the sunshine today has me longing to be out on a stream in my kayak. my husband and i bought somewhat matching kayaks (his is blue and mine is red) a couple of years ago and we love to be out paddling. there is something very peaceful about floating calmly down the stream communing with nature. we haven't tried any adventuresome whitewater paddling yet; we're more the laid-back-enjoy-the-scenery types. you really never know what you're going to see around the next bend of the stream. sometimes we'll come upon a huge mass of deadfall blocking one side of the stream. another twist might bring a lone fisherman in a small row boat. but my favorite thing to spy is a crane. they have such a quiet hauteur about them and will hold their position in the stream until you're almost upon them. the message is clear -- they are the true inhabitants of nature and we we are mere visitors. and then they calmly spread their wings and lift away, their feet dangling and leaving a trail of water in their wake. oh glorious day when i get to see a crane in all its majesty! the above canvas is titled "crane in the cattails" and my son matt counts it as his favorite of all my work. he is my soul mate in all things of nature and i know he would enjoy being out on the stream with us. maybe one day he'll join us for a peaceful idyll. and, maybe we'll be lucky enough to see a crane.

1 comment:

A Keeper's Jackpot said...

Great piece~

I found your blog from a comment in someone elses' blog and remembered you recently hearted my Etsy shop. Just wanted to say hi!