Tuesday, November 17, 2009

aged to perfection



"king's vinyard"
mixed media collage
solid aspen wood
12" x 18" x 1"
(c) 2009 julie king



a few weeks ago i was thinking about wine which i really don't know a lot about. i wondered if i was a bottle of wine what would i be. not knowing enough about white and red varieties to pick one, i decided i would simply be "aged to perfection". i've been through all the stages from fresh off the vine to early fermentation (full of youth and vigor) to mature, yet still aging to where i'm at today. i like being aged to perfection. truth be told, i'm full-bodied as well and i'm becoming more and more comfortable with that as well.

i created the above piece on sunday morning. it's another art graveyard resurrection -- i'm starting to think that these revisits are some of my favorite pieces of art. this one is definitely a keeper but i'd be willing to do these as custom pieces with a name of your choice if anyone has an interest.

what kind of wine are you?

9 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Intersting way to look at ones self. I am aged for sure. I love your mixed media pieces. The tree posted before is my fave so far.

Tess Kincaid said...

Heh-heh, I think a lot of us can relate to your title, Julie! If I were a wine, it would have to be a Bordeaux.

Manon said...

You are perfect Julie!!
Love this piece!!
I'm a champagne my friend...lol.... all bubbly!!

RNSANE said...

This is one of my favorites, Julie, especially because I LOVE wine. In my travels about the world, I always try the local vintages and, one of the blessings of living where I do in the San Francisco area, is that so many wonderful CA wine regions are close by!

Micki Wilde said...

I love red wine and I love your painting!!!

If I was a wine i'd have to say i'd be a fruity, young and full bodied one ;)

Micki x

Kerri Jean said...

I love this piece Julie, and the wine analogy. I would be a pinot noir - Balanced, light to medium bodied, mostly found in the U.S.

Jennifer DeDonato said...

Great job! I love the idea with this piece...I think I would be a dessert wine because of my sweet tooth.

Kim Hambric said...

What a fun piece! Love those colors!

I see myself as a complex, oaky chardonnay, but in reality, I might just be a metallic-tasting wine in a box.

Almost Precious said...

Hmmm, guess I never thought about it, though I've heard it said and have actually said myself; "We are like fine wine. We get better with age."
Of all the wines I've ever tasted there was only one that really stands out in my memory. It was a rare wine and only happened when the vineyard of fully ripened grapes were hit by an unexpected freeze. This condensed the sugars in the grape and produced an incredibly luscious sweet, desert wine called "Ice Wine" or Eiswein. It is not always available as the conditions have to be just perfect for its creation and as years went by it become more and more expensive...too much so for my pocketbook.
Got my curiosity going so just googled ice wine and found this interesting link: http://www.wineintro.com/types/icewine.html

However I do want to say that I really love your mixed media collage. It would look stunning in a dining area or fantastic in a cozy eating nook.