Friday, October 29, 2010

nellie



dear, sweet, nellie, the moment i saw you i knew you were coming home with me. hidden away behind an oversized armoire your essence of small perfection was a siren call of friendship. i saw your beauty shining thru despite the dust and years of misuse. in you, i felt a kindred spirit, a knowing that our journeys had been similar. once smooth and shiny in youth, your scrapes and worn edges revealed character that had developed over time. leaning close, i heard your soft whisperings and yearnings for a home to be at peace, a home to simply be who you were always meant to be. touching the soft patina of your side, i said come, come home with me. i will help restore your beauty and you will encourage me to spread my wings and fly free. free to be joyously creative at my pace and in my own way.

yes, nellie is the old drawers i posted about here. isn't she just lovely? i'm sketching and planning the next step in her renewal (collaged drawer fronts, words of inspiration?!). despite the fact that i bought her for my bedroom she has wandered into my dining room and made herself quite at home, adding a bright spot to the middle of my little cottage home. she and i are settling in quite nicely, thank you very much!

9 comments:

Mary said...

Hi Julie, I love the green you used. Your ideas for the drawers sound fantastic, can't wait to see it. I like it in the dining room too. I like to use pieces that are meant for a specific room in different rooms.

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Oh she is SO cute! I love the color you chose. Can not wait to see her all finished! :)

steviewren said...

I like how you are making your cottage home a reflection of your interests and talents. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Outstanding Stranger said...

How fun you are Jules, cant wait to see the rest of her makeover....Hugs, Diane

rachel awes said...

i love nellie.
let me count the ways.

Ruth said...

Nellie is adorable and gorgeous. I love green and red together, something we have an abundance of in our home. I hope you'll show additions to her if you go that route.

Christine said...

your artwork goes so nicely with Nellie!

Susan said...

CAan't wait to see the collaged drawers. Beautiful !! much love Susan & les Gang

Renee Troy said...

Old Nellie is coming along beautifully... You're making her shine!