Thursday, May 14, 2009

awakening





were any of you wide awake at 1:30 am last night??!! i went to bed at my normal 10:00 or so but was wide awake. so i got up and came to the art room. i had collaged and painted the first layer background on this piece earlier in the evening and then ended up working on it until 1:30. several gals i work with said they were awake unable to sleep last night as well. maybe it's something in the air? a full moon?

there are some things about this piece that i really like. i enjoyed adding all the tissue paper layers that give it so much texture. the copper wire for stems was fun as well but i can tell from the pictures that i need to add some sort of collaged or painted stems beneath the wire. i enjoyed writing the poem but am not happy (yet) with the word awakening. i think awakening needs to be bigger or something. i'm thinking of making the word very large and swoop on a curved line above the bird and flowers. what do you think? honestly, i'd like to know your thoughts.

the baby robins have flown from the nest. one got lost in our garage and bill used a hockey stick to gently herd it outside. mama and papa swooped down on it so quickly it was amazing. for most of the evening the other baby has been mia but a bit ago bill heard it chirping in the flower bed at the front of the house. mama and papa are keeping quite busy flying back and forth to check on them.

i'm headed out for a bike ride. it's a gorgeous "sweatshirt" evening!

12 comments:

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

I love this piece. I especially love the bling on the bush the bird is sitting on. You do great work. I would make the awakening larger.To me this is such a happy happy piece. It's colorful and the bird makes it especially sweet. I love the tissue paper look.

Julie said...

Oh, this painting is exquisite and beautiful. Just love, love, love it! X

Staci Danford said...

Been so busy I haven't gotten around to all my blog buddies.. I've missed your inspiring art.. Loved the Awakening poem..
Glad I had to time to visit.. Made me smile..
Staci

lori vliegen said...

well, i think that there must have been something in the air here in florida too, because i was also awake at 1:30 a.m....maybe i somehow knew you were in your art room and wished i could be there creating along with you! your late-night artwork is beautiful...i love it, julie! :)

Elizabeth Armstrong said...

Hi Julie
I have just discovered you and I love pretty much love everything!

Thanks so much for sharing your work
Elizabeth

Fannie said...

hi, julie. we are on a similar track. nice.

love your piece.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Yes! I've been waking up a lot lately! What's up with that?? However, you did the productive thing and got up to create something beautiful. me? I just rolled over, and read. Sigh.

I do love your birds. And the story of the robins. And the fishing dogs!!

Have a lovely weekend!!

Susan said...

Hope you have a good visit with the vet and the Mr. P is as happy and comfortable as he can be. lease give him many kisses & hugs from Miss D & I - xo S & les Chats

ArtPropelled said...

It's charming no matter what, but perhaps it would be better with Awakening bigger. I love the flowers!

Kerri Jean said...

Perhaps it is because I rise very early with Max, but even if I wake up in the night, I never get up to make art - or in any other way stay up -- because at 1 am, I know that 5 am is coming soooo quickly again --but it obviously works for you. Love this piece. So lively.

The Itsy Bitsy Spill said...

hello!

beautiful collage. I love collage. You have great sense of color, just lovely!!

Sascalia said...

Gorgeous, love the birds,flowers and the colours! :) Thanks for the follow!