Wednesday, March 30, 2011

the benefits of napping







willow and i have fallen into a wonderful habit since i'm not working away from home. we nap! some days i may stay up up til 2 or 3 in the morning in the art room, sleep in the next morning and then take a late afternoon nap. other days i may get up extra early to be creative and then go back to bed around noon. it's not that i'm not productive, because i am. i just go with the flow of how i feel and when i feel like getting things done.

lest you think this is a lazy woman's path to the poor house, google gives the following benefits of napping:

  • Naps can restore alertness, enhance performance, and reduce mistakes and accidents. A study at NASA on sleepy military pilots and astronauts found that a 40-minute nap improved performance by 34% and alertness 100%.
  • Naps can increase alertness in the period directly following the nap and may extend alertness a few hours later in the day.
  • Napping has psychological benefits. A nap can be a pleasant luxury, a mini-vacation. It can provide an easy way to get some relaxation and rejuvenation.

i really didn't need an excuse to nap but low and behold now i have several! in addition to napping, willow also likes to have her picture taken. she's quite a poser!

4 comments:

BEN AND JACI said...

:-? hmm.... You know this isn't a very nice post for the rest of us who are trapped 8-5. Miss you!

Christine said...

oh willow looks beautiful

The Itsy Bitsy Spill said...

Hey Julie my dear! Napping oh yes! I love to watch my cat Sammy nap. It's cute when he snores but very lightly.

Having late nights creating and sleeping in feels so good. I do best when everyone is asleep.

Sending a warm air hug from here!!!

Nancy said...

What a beautiful model and I imagine a good companion for napping. I hope all is going will with your staying home. Is the Etsy shop paying off? I consider doing it but then convince myself that my things aren't different enough. But I can't find a part time job and I just keep spending money at the grocery store and the Veterinarians' office.