Monday, March 28, 2011

that's how you know





in the middle of repotting a bunch of root-bound plants yesterday afternoon, i noticed a delicious stream of sunlight poring thru my south-facing kitchen window. i immediately grabbed my camera and placed this glass cake stand in the light and clicked away. the "cake stand" is actually a glass candle holder and a glass plate that i glued together. each piece was a .49 steal at goodwill. it sits 5 1/2" tall and 7" wide. i keep my shamrock plant on it on my kitchen countertop. i love the daintiness of it and someday i may make a large cupcake to sit perfectly on it. but that's another day, another project.

anyway, the thrill that shot thru me when i saw that shaft of sunlight was quite exhilarating and a long time coming. it got me to thinking how one way i gauge the level of my depression and overall well-being is by my interest in photography. on blue days where i have trouble getting up and dressed, my camera sits idle and lonely on the coat closet shelf. on my good days, photo ops seem to present themselves quite frequently. so i've promised myself that i'm going to use my camera as my therapy. hopefully, on the blue days i can spark some good vibes simply by getting lost behind the lens. it certainly was cathartic today!

4 comments:

Christine said...

hope that works, Julie. For me, the world is a darker place when I'm tired. The solution seems to be a good night's sleep.

steviewren said...

On days when the sun makes shadows dance all around, it makes me feel like dancing as well....Sunshine chases all the blues away...a trip to a tropical paradise is just the ticket for you...can I go too?

julie king said...

christine, i've had my days and nights mixed up fighting off this terrible cold. i do think the lack of sleep has contributed to the blues.

julie king said...

steviewren -- tell me when and where and i'll meet you in the tropics or really anywhere warm!!