Wednesday, April 2, 2008

need it, want it, gotta have it!


this is lola, an original torn paper collage i did back in february 2007. to me she looks like a lot of fun but definitely a high maintenance sort of girl. her make-up alone would take hours a day. smile! i don't think of myself as high maintenance, really quite the opposite. i'm self-sufficient, independent and can be ready to go every morning in about 30 minutes. i prefer jeans and a sweatshirt over any kind of couteur. i wear very little jewelry and only own 3 handbags. i just never had the "need it, want it, gotta have it" mentality. when my daughter megan was in grade school she inspired me to mutter those words to myself several times a week. she would get home from school and immediately call me on the phone with her daily request that i stop by the store on my way home to get her something. while she was detailing the urgent request, i would be muttering softly (and smiling!!) to myself, "need it, want it, gotta have it, need it, want it, gotta have it". most times the must-have was for a school project. as she moved into high school the object was more often connected to cheerleading or gymnastics and of course both the need and desire levels had risen. and, as most girls that age do, she became interested in name brand clothes and fashion and "having it". i supported this the best i could and i don't think she ever really went without anything she truly desired.
as megan has matured into a beautiful woman, wife and mother i've seen her "need it, want it, gotta have it" mantra almost completely disappear. she is a devoted mother who knows that time spent with her daughter is far more valuable than any material possessions. she's self-sufficient, independent and dresses simply, yet tastefully. i admire her humanity, dedication to giving back to the world and her empathy for others. she is on a remarkable journey of self-discovery and is a true friend and confidant to me when i'm off the path. to me, she demonstrates that you truly can have it all . . . and i'm not talking about material things. keep it up, megan; you are the wind beneath my wings!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE that collage you made. The colors are so brilliant.

Also, thank you very much for your kind words on my blog :)

have a great weekend!!!

gush4plush said...

Hi, your blog is a wonderful read. Thank you for commenting on my blog, so I could click your blog link. I love your art!

Take Care,
Shannon

UniqueNurseGranny said...

Love the Lola and the tribute to your daughter.

Wonderfully Sew Knit said...

Lola is wonderful! :o)